What Is SEO ? Search engine optimisation is a strategy and various techniques used to increase the amount of visitors to a website by gaining a high-ranking placement in the search results page of a search engine (SERP) — including Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines.
SEO needs a keyword, this is the search term which will be searched for by the user. In SEO a search term can be anything you are looking for. For example
- What is SEO?
- How do I do SEO?
- Does SEO Work
- SEO services
Once the keywords are shortlisted, the company will want to rank for these search terms, for example if the aim is to rank for SEO services, the website will need related content and key phrases.
The business will make on-page changes to their website, therefore many factors will be looked at, such as
- Content– when a company creates content, the aim will be to have it up to 300 words with the relevant keywords
- Heading tags – the H1 which is the main heading on top of the page, is the most important from the heading, so it will be ideal to put the keyword in there.
- URL – it is better to add the phrase in the url, so when the page is crawled by Google, the results pull in the URL
- Keyword density – when creating content it is always better not to flood the content with only the keyword, because using it too many time can lead to a Google penalty.
- Title and meta tags – The title tag is one of the most important on-site factor, this will tell Google what your page is about and meta description will let the user know.
Companies who do search engine optimisaition (SEO) end goal is to have their page or site rank better on Google and other search engines